Samstag, 24. Januar 2009

Seagate - will it be a never ending story?

My hard drive is dead. But it's only the firmware so data is still there - so maybe seagate could do some recovery, media say they'll do it for free in my case but who knows ...

So I wrote an e-mail to DiscSupport@seagate.com with all the data and described them my situation. Exactly ONE WEEK later I got the following:

Thank you for contacting Seagate Support.

A firmware issue has been identified that affects a small number of
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive models which may result in data
becoming inaccessible after a power-off/on operation. The affected
products are Barracuda 7200.11, Barracuda ES.2 SATA, and DiamondMax 22.
Based on the low risk as determined by an analysis of actual field return
data, Seagate believes that the affected drives can be used as is.
However, as part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, Seagate is
offering a free firmware upgrade.

Please follow this link
(http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931)
to enter the Knowledge Base article(s) detailing the steps to update your
drive.

In the unlikely event your drive is affected and you cannot access your
data, the data still resides on the drive and there is no data loss
associated with this issue. If your drive is no longer accessible, contact
us directly for further assistance at
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/.

NOTE: If you have contacted Seagate Support regarding a separate issue or
about another product, please visit
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/ to submit an email.
Thank you.

Seagate Support
Yes my hard drive is dead and it doesn't seem to me that there was only a low risk that my drive died ... So i feel really disturbed when I write an email to support and get such a generic message back.

I opened the according page for Europe: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/world_wide_contacts/contact-techsupport-emea
Please could anybody explain that table to me?

Country

Phone

Email

Language(s)

Business Hours

Belgium
Denmark
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
00.800.4732.4283 Email





Chat (English)
Chat (French)
Chat (German)
English
French
German
Spanish


English
French
German
8:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M.
Monday - Friday
(CET)



8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Monday - Friday
(CET)
Europe
Middle East
Africa

1.405.324.4714

Email English
French
German
Spanish
8:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M.
Monday - Friday
(CET)
They speak French in Norway?? German in Spain? And where does Austria fit in?
I thought the best choise is the email adress in the bottom. Well you do not exactly get an email adress, yet another page for logging in or creating an accoung.


Anyway I tried to login into my support account, which is not possible and if I try to reset my account's password I only get the following message:

We are sorry, there appears to be a technical error affecting your account. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact our Partner Application Support Team for assistance by phone or email.
So now I need support for the support ....

The thing I thougt : let's make a new account with an different email address. On the bottom of the form you can choose your language - German!
What then happens is this: the whole page refeshes and you have to put in your data again. The guy who made this knew extremly little of user interface design, not mentioning the tiny button in the bottom for sending your data - on the left of the screen ... by the way shouldn't I've been able to select German up in the weird table?

Because I have an account and it's not possible to recover the password, I tried to put in a different username and email adress which i haven't surely not entered there before.

I only get this
Invalid XML message

If you google this you can find forum entries from 31. dec 08 regarding that problem, so they haven't fixed it yet.

So no Seagate support for me. I'm angry and pissed off.

Who is able to create a support account? Do you geht the Invalid XML message as well? Thanks.

UPDATE: I was able to create an account!! How? I used a completely new E-mail adress and took extra care that my password consists of numbers and letters and is longer than 6 chars.
As well I removed a '+' from the telephone number and email, maybe this caused the xml error.

1 Kommentar:

venkman hat gesagt…

update: have a look at the forum, doesn't look like the seagate support does their job very well

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=sitefeedback